Sunday 31 July 2016

Uncapped Nigeria-born Kayode still hopes to play for Sierra Leone

Nigeria-born Victor Kayode insists he has not
given up hope of playing for Sierra Leone,
despite being continuously overlooked for
selection.
The Azerbaijan-based midfielder, who was
born in Ondo state to Nigerian parents,
decided to play for Leone Stars four years ago
- claiming his maternal grandfather was from
Sierra Leone.
Since doubts over Kayode's eligibility were
removed, five different coaches have taken
charge of Sierra Leone, but he is still awaiting
his first call-up.
I think if the Leone Stars coach
wants me he can check my
records and he'll see that I'm
qualified and ready to play
Victor Kayode
Zire FC midfielder
"I'm not given up as I still want to play for
Sierra Leone," Kayode told BBC Sport.
The player, who turns 30 in September, came
close to making his debut for Sierra Leone
when he travelled with Leone Stars to
Monastir to face Tunisia in October 2012.
But he failed to make Leone Stars' final 18-
man squad for the decisive 2013 Africa Cup
of Nations qualifying match which ended
goalless, a result that eliminated Sierra Leone.
"I never regret my decision to play for Sierra
Leone despite the fact I'm yet to make my
debut and I'm looking forward to being given
the chance," said Kayode.
"I'm not frustrated, there is time for
everything," he added.
Kayode who currently plays for Azerbaijan top
flight league club Zire FC believes he has
what it takes to play for Sierra Leone and
urges the current Leone Stars coach Sellas
Tetteh to follow his performances at club
level.
"I'm a regular in my team and I'm doing well.
That is what many coaches look for," Kayode
added.
"I think if the Leone Stars coach wants me he
can check my records and he'll see that I'm
qualified and ready to play.
"However, I hope to personally introduce
myself and ask him to give me a chance."
Kayode says his decision to choose Sierra
Leone over Nigeria was not taken because he
knew his chances to play for the Super Eagles
may be very slim.
"That was never the case. Nigeria are a big
country and not everyone can play for his
country of birth.
"I've chosen Sierra Leone because I believe
God wanted me to play for the country of my
maternal grandfather," he insisted.
Kayode's story with Sierra Leone started when
he was introduced to former Leone Stars
coach Lars Olof Mattsson by friend and ex-
skipper Ibrahim Kargbo in June 2012.
He trained with Leone Stars ahead of World
Cup and Nations Cup qualifiers that same
year and was considered for Sierra Leone after
impressing Mattsson.
Kayode has only played club football in
Azerbaijan where he has featured for four
clubs since he moved there a decade ago.

0 comments:

Template by:

Free Blog Templates